Blog 1

After reviewing the PowerPoint about the status of women around the world, I have several opinions regarding what I have learned. The most surprising facts that I have learned are those that have a tragic impact on women in the 21st century. Although we live in America and we still face inequality as women when it comes to labor rights, reproductive rights, and many more injustices, it does not match up with women in other parts of the world. Those facts are tortures of the female genitalia that are still prevalent in parts of Africa. The fact that being sex trafficked is a common situation females face in Asia and central Europe. The horrors that women face are unfortunately still issues that need to be addressed worldwide.

The accomplishments that I most admired in the presentation were those of women becoming leaders in their countries. The numbers are growing and they are much needed. Women need to represent women because men have not done so for hundreds of years. Women can be great leaders and change will not occur unless women have a voice. The fact 15 world leaders are women is amazing! I was also surprised to learn that American ranks at 24% of women are in their parliament compared to other countries such as Rwanda and Bolivia having more than have of their parliament made up of women. This shows the need for women representation in America.

My opinions about women health were saddening. In many countries where women are forced into marrying young and are sold have no choice when it comes to sexually transmitted diseases. Women are kept uneducated, with many children, and unfortunately do not have access to medical care. Women are exposed to early childbirth, HIV, among many other health issues.

Comments